ENERCON’s digital I&C (DI&C) Engineering organization consists of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) that specialize in modernization and conversion of legacy I&C Systems to modern DCS using the latest available digital technology.
- Familiar and practiced with IEC 61131-3
- Experts in NPP Digital I&C Modernization projects
- Specialists in the application and use of regulatory codes, guides, and standards unique to digital I&C systems
- Consistent with nuclear programming expectations
- Comprised of former NPP Design and System engineers
- Engaged with digital I&C industry working groups
- Experts in: Design, Implementation, Cyber Security and Licensing of Digital I&C Systems
Most of ENERCON’s DI&C SMEs were formerly employed by NPPs and/or other utilities where they implemented digital upgrade projects at nuclear power plants. They have also supported tasks related to I&C design certification (FSAR Chapter 7 scope) to new plant deployment projects and are experts in the application of industry standards and the regulatory framework that is unique to the design of digital I&C systems within the nuclear industry.
Collectively, ENERCON’s DI&C SMEs have over 300 years of DI&C experience.
Teams of Subject Matter Experts in:
- Traditional Analog/Relay-based I&C
- Modern Digital I&C Technology
- Engineering Review Board (ERB)
- I&C Calculations/Analysis
- ISA 67.04 Setpoint Calculations
- Instrument Drift Analysis
- Measurement Uncertainty Analysis
- Response Time Analysis
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
Our clients turn to us for all hardware and software life cycle deliverables, unique to digital I&C upgrade and modernization projects. We find the most effective solutions for complex and challenging I&C modernization projects.
ENERCON SMEs apply their IEC-61131-3 knowledge to ensure the applications are consistent with nuclear programming expectations, such as error handling and deterministic behavior; and correctly implement the functional logic required for the system. This is accomplished through detailed technical reviews of the OEM hardware and software deliverables.
We are knowledgeable and experienced in developing DCS hardware and software designs and associated analyses, performing independent software V&V, preparing FAT and SAT test procedures, conducting FAT & SAT testing, and producing the associated documentation and deliverables.
Our staff have supported numerous NPP Digital I&C Modernization projects, such as:
- Reactor Protection System/Engineered Safety Features Actuation System (RPS/ESFAS) upgrades
- Solid State Protection System Upgrade
- Solid State Control System Upgrade
- Reactor Vessel Water Level Instrumentation (RVLIS) Monitoring System Upgrade
- Post-Accident Monitoring (PAM)
- Feedwater Control System Upgrades
- Heater Drains & Steam Extraction Steam Upgrades
- Distributed Control System (DCS) Upgrades
- Turbine Control System Upgrade/Replacements
- Plant Process Computer System Upgrade/Replacements
- Plant Annunciator System Upgrades
- Emergency Diesel Generators Engine Controls Upgrades
- Digital Radiation Monitoring System Upgrades
- Cyber Security Critical Digital Assessments (CDA) and Remediation